Martin Cottingham, a real estate veteran with more than 17 years of experience, has joined Avison Young in the New York office as a Principal specializing in transaction management.
Cottingham was previously Managing Director, Corporate Services Group, for Grubb & Ellis, where he oversaw the firm's corporate services effort in the Northeast region. The group offered corporate clients a full array of planning, financial analysis and portfolio management services via an integrated platform of quality standards, processes and account oversight. Cottingham’s performance earned him recognition in the company’s Circle of Excellence program in both 2008 and 2010.
Prior to joining Grubb & Ellis, Cottingham was a Managing Director at Bear Stearns & Company, where he was responsible for all global facility management, property management, design, development, construction, facility planning, furniture procurement and corporate services units for a real estate portfolio totaling more than four million square feet. In addition, he had responsibilities in domestic and international branch real estate lease administration.
Preceding his promotion to Managing Director, Cottingham oversaw all site activities in the development of Bear Stearns’ 1.2 million-square-foot world headquarters at 383 Madison Avenue in New York, NY. He served as the company’s liaison to the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA), Metro-North Railroad, Consolidated Edison and Long Island Railroad (LIRR), and coordinated the construction schedule, development team and consultants. He also developed and implemented the firm’s relocation plan for 5,000 people from four sites to 383 Madison Avenue following completion of the building.
- Appointed to the New York State Real Estate Board in 2006 by former Gov. George Pataki
- Board Member – Bishop Ford High School, LaSalle Academy, Futures in Education and YMCA
- Founding member of the Holy Name Foundation, addressing Catholic school issues in Brooklyn and Queens
- CoreNet Global
- International Facility Management Association (IFMA)
- Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA)
Education and Designations
- New York University – M.S., Real Estate Development
- St. Joseph’s College – B.S., Organizational Management
- New York University – Certificate in Construction Management