Avison Young Real Estate Management Services is an industry leader in the field of third party management. It is part of the Avison Young group, offering a diversified range of services, consulting with owners, asset managers and corporate clients in real estate. As a partner-owned firm, we build long-term relationships with our clients, offering them professional, intelligent real estate and financial services.
The Property Accountant will reside in our downtown office at 401 Bay Street, Toronto, Ontario.
- Review and approve edit lists of all A/R adjustments, tenant chargeback invoices and any cash receipts coded to the general ledger
- Identify and review with Property Administrator any significantly high or old receivable balances for allowance setup or write offs.
- Monitor & approve % rent invoices for retail tenants and approve A/R adjustments as required.
- Review and approve all data input into Yardi Voyager system – (Input clerk will provide batches with edit list for review and approval.)
- Identify, code and authorize standard monthly payments to be made – mortgage payments, management fees, advances to owners, utility bills and tax installments.
- Review all payables for accuracy of coding (recoverable versus unrecoverable, capital versus CAM expense)
- Review accounts payable vouchers for all utility invoices for Manager approval (vacant, chargeback or CAM expense)
- Prepare copies of all utility and tax bills and send to site offices where applicable.
- Maintain list of utility bills, which have been pre-approved for payment by Manager
- Monitor utility listing to ensure vacant unit utility bills are valid, properly paid and coded.
- File any payable cheques being held in the safe and review cash flow weekly to see what can be released
- Review all cheques for accuracy before they are sent for signature.
- Complete HST reconciliations
- Record all tenant deposits of first and last month rent as identified by Offer to Lease. Set up lease commission expense and adjust when final commission invoice received.
- Review of required changes to Yardi Voyager database as a result of early terminations or overholding tenants.
- Review Lease Abstract Report prepared by Manager Lease administration (lease business terms, tenant charges, % rent basis, special provision) to ensure that the charges set up in Yardi Voyager database are correct.
- Review and assist in completing rent recap and note that lease types are correct.
- Calculate tenant OPC and Tax recoveries based on the lease agreement
- Assist with Budgets (review and assist with recovery calculation and review of budget for amortization etc)
- Review all Budget input into the Yardi Voyager system against approved final budget printouts
- Maintain Standard Filing System for all properties within the portfolio
- Obtain and follow up on outstanding Property Tax Issues
- Ensure all bank accounts are in good standing – NO OVERDRAFT POSITIONS
- Prepare cash call/disbursement reports for review by Accounting Supervisor
- Maintain integrity of information on Yardi Voyager system for GL and all subsystems
- Maintain all audit working paper files – monthly and year-end for Accounting Supervisor Approval
- Prepare all monthly Journal Entries with necessary backup for data entry & approve all input to Yardi Voyager
- Set up all standard Journal Entries for all buildings and ensure that they are processed monthly
- Review all account details for any major variances and provide analysis if necessary
- Review Management fees charged and accrue any necessary adjustments – reconcile monthly, report to Corporate
- Review of Construction Supervision Fees booked and accrue as required based on expense in GL
- Monitor o/s PO commitments and contract PO from manager to ensure proper accruals are done monthly
- Complete straight-lining of base rent
- Adjust for any posting errors by preparing Journal Entries for data entry
- Prepare full set of financial statements for Clients (balance sheet, profit & loss statement, cash flow statement, working papers etc)
- Prepare pro-forma statements for owners when required
- Assist Property Managers with variance analysis as required
- Analyze costs for development projects. Work closely with Project Managers.
- Liaison with Owner / Auditors as required
- Maintain Capital Project files and amortization schedules
- Prepare month end review checklist for reporting package
- Approve Bank Reconciliation and adjusting Journal Entry prepared by Clerical Assistant
- Assist with Special Projects
- Complete tenant additional rent calculation (lease types etc) in the annual budget model
- Complete the amortization schedules in the annual budget
- Participate in team reviews of the annual budget
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles and concepts as they apply to Real Estate and specifically to Property Management.
- Commercial Property Accounting Experience (3 years or more)
- Strong knowledge of Financial Statements, Variance Analysis, Tenant Year-end Reconciliations
- Strong analytical skills
- Good organizational skills
- Detail Oriented
- Team Player
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skill
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office (Excel and Word)
- University or College Graduate
- Pursing the CPA designation
- Knowledge of Yardi Voyager System would be a definite asset
Competitive salary and benefits package offered for the right candidate with the right skills and experience.
If you are qualified and interested in this opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter stating salary expectations.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.