Global Tax Director
Location: Based in either Chicago, IL or Toronto, ON
Who Are We?
Avison Young is the world’s fastest-growing full-service commercial real estate services firm. Headquartered in Toronto, Canada, Avison Young is a collaborative, global firm owned and operated by its principals.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Director of Global Tax will be Avison Young’s corporate tax leader responsible for overseeing and directing Avison Young’s global tax function including tax planning and strategy, domestic and international M&A, tax controversy, transfer pricing analysis and policies along with federal, state and foreign tax compliance and reporting obligations.
- Develop and implement global tax strategies to minimize the company’s cash taxes and effective tax rate
- Partner with business functions to advise on tax aspects of new business initiatives
- Drive global transfer pricing strategy and ensure compliance with U.S. and international requirements, including documentation and intercompany agreements
- Direct involvement with tax planning for M&A and corporate acquisitions worldwide
- Ensure all reporting obligations are satisfied accurately and timely
- Manage global tax controversy and audit issues
- Oversee tax matters related to foreign operations including the consolidated tax provision, income tax compliance, VAT, and withholding tax matters
- Monitor legislative changes in U.S., Canada, the U.K, and key international tax laws that may impact the company and provide proactive guidance on the consequences of such changes.
- Manage outside tax consultants and advisors, related projects, and budgeting
- Provide oversight and review of the quarterly and annual tax provisions
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 10 + years of tax experience with working knowledge of U.S., Canadian and UK tax law
- Real estate and Big 4 experience preferred
- M&A due diligence and integration experience
- Ability to identify and define problems, gather and review data, assess the alternatives, interpret the results, manage the risk, and communicate findings
- Experience collaborating with external advisers on complex tax matters
- Ability to partner with senior business leaders and explain technical concepts to colleagues without a technical tax background
- Sufficient technical background and experience to conduct tax related research and provide advice across existing and future growth geographies
- Bachelor's degree in Business/Accounting or equivalent
- CPA and MS/MBA/JD in tax highly preferred
Avison Young is a collaborative, global firm owned and operated by its principals. Founded in 1978, the company comprises of more than 2,600 real estate professionals in 84 offices providing value-added, client-centric investment sales, leasing, advisory, management, financing and mortgage placement services to owners and occupiers of office, retail, industrial and multi-family properties.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter. Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada.
Our Equal Opportunity Commitment
Avison Young practices as an equal opportunity employer in all services locations around the world. We are committed to building and maintaining a workforce diverse in experience, skills and knowledge with uniformity in service excellence, commitment and integrity.
The firm maintains a strict policy to ensure employment opportunities are equal and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, protected veteran or military service status, or any other elements protected by law.
For those requiring assistance with disabilities, Information relating to the need for accommodation and accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
Avison Young is committed to employing the best talent with the most fair and equitable recruitment practices. Apply with us TODAY!
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.