Avison Young is the world’s fastest-growing, private and Principal-led commercial real estate services firm. Headquartered in Toronto, Canada, Avison Young is a collaborative, global firm owned and operated by its Principals.
We are looking for a Property Accountant to join our growing team in Chicago.
Avison Young is looking for a Property Accountant to join our accounting department. The position will be responsible for managing the accounting and reporting for retail and commercial buildings, overseeing the revenue reporting and lease accounting to ensure accuracy and efficiency. Experience in retail using MRI/YARDI is required.
- Reconcile general ledger accounts with supporting schedules on a monthly basis
- Ensure that all tenant and property information is properly set up
- Review tenant recurring charges to ensure that all are billed without errors
- Analyze all balance sheet and income statement accounts and prepare appropriate journal entries
- Prepare monthly financial reports in accordance with owner specifications
- Communicate with property managers concerning property related issues
- All financial transactions that are processed through the properties by performing balance sheet analysis, operating expense review, P&L variance analysis, cash flow projections
- Prepare calculation of annual CAM reconciliations and Tax Recovery calculations and corresponding tenant billings
- Assist in the set-up of bank accounts and financial reports for new properties
- Review and maintain tenant ledgers and rent rolls; prepare and send monthly statements
- Maintain cash balances in accordance with client requirement and possibly prepare transfer and funding requests
- Timely preparation of monthly standard reporting packages for property managers and clients
- Assist with preparation of annual budgets
- Prepare monthly Excel variances templates for property managers
- A/P and A/R functions
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting
- Minimum 3yrs accounting experience preferably in Retail property management
- Advanced Excel skills creating and utilizing complex spreadsheets is a must
- Knowledge of cash and accrual basis accounting
- Ability to meet deadlines without compromising accuracy and handle multiple projects at one time
- Excellent product quality and attention to detail
- High energy, deadline driven, detail-oriented individual
- Must have positive attitude and flexibility toward workflow, teamwork, and task management
- The ideal candidate must have the ability to act and operate independently with minimal daily direction from management, to accomplish objectives
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Good problem-solving and interpersonal skills; ability to multi-task, assess priorities and make appropriate decisions; quick processing skills, familiarity with general accounting systems; fast learner and proficient in use of Microsoft Office; knowledge of commercial real estate is preferred.