Lead Building Engineer
Avison Young, a Canadian‐based, global real estate solutions firm, and one of the fastest growing commercial real estate services firms in the United States, is searching for an experienced Lead Building Engineer for one of our property in Gaithersburg, Maryland.
As the Lead Engineer, the position will take responsibility for maintaining the integrity of all building systems and operate the building in an efficient manner; supervise work in the field and perform routine maintenance and repairs of all HVAC, boiler, heating, refrigeration, water, and energy systems to ensure the effective operation of the facility.
- Assist in and conduct the daily operations and maintenance of plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and general maintenance requirements of buildings
- Supervise maintenance staff, assign, and monitor maintenance projects, providing assistance and training to subordinates as needed with building maintenance issues.
- Respond immediately to emergency situations (fire, evacuation, equipment failure, etc.) and customer concerns
- Responds to customer service requests, delegating tasks when appropriate.
- Assists with scheduling of multi site maintenance engineers, scheduling after hours/on call coverage and providing backup coverage for assigned properties.
- Conducts daily reviews of grounds upkeep, lighting, ceiling tiles, housekeeping and building storage/mechanical areas and operating equipment. Identifies deficiencies and implements corrective action as necessary.
- Performs scheduled site inspections on assigned properties specifically on alarm/safety/fire extinguisher and equipment and operating HVAC equipment.
- Maintains building certificates for elevators, boiler/pressure vessel, fire/life safety documents.
- Recommends and assists with obtaining proposals for outside contract work.
- Assists with budgeting of repairs and maintenance. Solicits bids for budgeted projects.
- Acts as a liaison for management when dealing with tenants and staff.
- Assists and monitors Tenant Build-Out Projects.
- Coordinate maintenance efforts with outside contractors and technicians
- Comply with all applicable codes, regulations, governmental agency and company directives as related to building operations and practice safe work habits
- Ensure management team is informed of current building operations
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Work Experience:
- High School diploma or GED; some college a plus
- 5+ years of related experience in a commercial property
- CFC certification required
- Appropriate license as may be required by jurisdiction, i.e. Journeyman or Master Electrician License or
- HVAC Certificates of Training
- Graduate of apprentice program or trade school
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and good driving record with periodic checks
Knowledge and Skills:
- General handyman experience.
- Experience with VAV systems, chillers, cooling towers, air handling units
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent management skills and ability to work with all levels of employees, tenants and vendors.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Must be dependable and possess good time management skills.
- May be only maintenance staff member on duty during certain shifts; may be required to work extended periods of time without relief when responding to priority/emergency situations (including overtime type assignments); may require shift work and/or on call duties
- The qualified candidate will be detail oriented, able to handle multiple projects simultaneously, extremely professional, and customer service oriented
- Requires ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations, and the ability to stoop, stand, climb, frequently lift and manipulate a minimum of 50 lbs. of equipment (pumps, tools, ladders).
- Regularly required to crouch and reach to install/move equipment by bending forward at the waist or by bending legs and spine
- Involves movement between departments, floors, and properties to facilitate work; both indoors and outdoors.
We offer competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits program.
If you meet the qualifications and are interested in this opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter stating salary expectations via Career Builder, or submit via email, fax or regular mail:
Avison Young - Human Resources
11921 Rockville Pike, Suite 200
Rockville, MD 20852
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please, no calls from recruiters. Avison Young subscribes to the spirit and laws regarding Equal Employment Opportunity. Additionally, Avison Young operates in according with a Drug Free Workplace and conducts drug and alcohol tests.